Burke's First 4th of July!
We introduced Burke to many new things this week. Sippy cups, rice cereal and parades.
Croft Boys self portrait
Excuse me, I'm trying to read here. Actually I judge my reading material by taste, not written content.
We waited until Burke was 1 week shy of 6 months to try rice cereal. Our pediatrician said anywhere between 4- 6 months we should start cereal. The American Acadamy of Pediatrics said to try to do only formula or breastmilk for the first 6 months to avoid allergies and obesity later in life. We are still breastfeeding. I had created my own mental goal of making it 6 to 8 months. We have made it 6 months! I feel like we have earned a medal (or just a nice adult only meal out). I think we will start the weining process now.
In reading our "What to Expect in the First Year" book, it recommended that when we were first trying food we make sure he is not too hungry, but not too full. That sounds like quite a delicate balance. I would say that we waited until he was too hungry to try rice cereal for the first time. You will see why.... from Burke's narrated point of view.
Mom just strapped in with my utensil in hand. I do like to naw on this silicon. Feels good on my gums.
So this bib is to eat right? How do I escape these straps?
Don't lock me in with this tray. Don't you know its time to eat!?!
This is not how I eat. Why do you shove this liquid stuff in my mouth? Get that bottle over there on the counter or where is my mom?
Hmm. You don't give up do you?
Quit it. I am hungry. This is not how I EAT!!!
(We gave up right after this shot was taken.)
Attempt 1 to eat = FAIL
Monday, July 4th, 2011
Our First Croft Family parade in Parkville.
We adopted Cheryll's family for this holiday a few years ago. They let us sit with them for the parade and then we go back to Cheryll's parents place for a fun bbq, game of washers or bags and hang out. A nice little tradition we introduced to Burke this year.
Joe, Cheryll and Baily Pacey at the Parade.
A little slice of small town America this holiday.
Happy Birthday America
(just a cute pair of pigtails watching the firetrucks and floats pass by)
This is looking into downtown Parkville just North of the Missouri River that is flooding. This area flooded with the last big Missouri flood of 1993-4.
The town of Parkville worked hard to sandbag this time to save the downtown area. Here is how far the Missouri river has risen to meet the Parkville downtown area. Typically on the 4th this is the end of the parade route where the carnival is. The carnival was moved to the high school this year. Good thing. I don't think they wanted a water park.
Back at the Elliott bbq, Burke found a shady spot to wiggle around.
That evening we went to Megan and Cameron McGown's to bbq some more.
Pacey's plus Burke.
All in all, a great first 4th for our lil family.
No comments:
Post a Comment